The old adage “If you build it, they will come” doesn’t exactly apply to websites. If you buy a new phone does it start to ring? No, you need to plant seeds all over the web that will help drive traffic to your website. You don’t necessarily need to be a skilled SEO expert or social media guru to build up the hit counter on your site – one of the most effective ways can be through guest blogging. Guest blogging is a term used to describe you contributing blog posts to another persons website. There are plenty of benefits of guest blogging:
- Building your Google ‘Author Rank’. Google will look at the author of posts and give credit to authors who have posts on credible websites.
- Backlinks: Most blog owners will allow you to post a link back to your website if you offer to contribute a post to their blog. The more credible the blog (the higher it’s Google Page Rank), the more valuable the back link
- Maximizing Exposure – The more links and content you have around the web, the more likely it is that people will see your content and eventually end up on your website
- Credibility by Association: If people see your brand on credible websites it will add more credibility to your brand
- Generating Leads: If your content provides information that users find valuable they will be very likely to explore your products and services further
- Social Media exposure: Most blogs have social sharing features built into their posts. If your guest post is on a popular blog it is highly like that users will share your post with their friends
In order to successfully reach out to other websites to guest blog you should at least have a blog of your own with some well-written content. Editors of blogs will want to check you out before deciding to allow you to post on their website so make sure your content is great! If you are looking for ideas to write about check out question/answer sites like Quora or Yahoo Answers. See what people are asking about in your industry and write detailed articles answering common questions people have.
Once you have your own content set up you can begin contacting blog editors and discussing possible topics you can write about for them to begin your guest blogging journey. Don’t expect any kind of monetary compensation – the value of getting the back link and brand exposure is more valuable than any 1-time fee you hope to collect.